Real Medicine Foundation: Haiti Earthquake Relief:
Real Medicine Foundation is presently assembling a logistic and medical team to deploy as early as Sunday evening to aid in the efforts on the ground in Haiti.
The recent report from the Pan American Health Organization/WHO highlights the main challenges facing the massive humanitarian effort underway.
Emergency Operations Center Situation Report #1
One day after a devastating earthquake struck Haiti, information is still difficult to obtain. The PAHO/WHO office in Haiti has been unable to communicate with national health authorities and UN colleagues. For the time being, information is being coordinated through the PAHO/WHO Emergency Operations Center in Washington. On the ground, the past 24 hours have been dedicated to search and rescue and immediate lifesaving activities.
• A 7.0 magnitude earthquake struck Haiti on Tuesday afternoon, January 12, 2010, close to the nation’s capital of Port-au-Prince. The quake was felt in the Dominican Republic and as far away as Jamaica.
• Reports indicate a significant loss of life; there are no official numbers at this time but the Haitian President has estimated 100,000 people dead or missing.
• Impact on health facilities:
o Several hospitals and health centers have collapsed in the city
− The UN clinic at the Christopher Hotel collapsed
− Martissant emergency room/centre (slum in Port au Prince, MSF managed) is damaged and unstable. All patients evacuated and relocated to tents in the ground. MSF staff have been dealing with a flow of casualties from the town.
− Solidarité maternity hospital, MSF-managed, severely damaged
− Trinité trauma centre (60 beds) MSF-managed, severely damaged
− HUEH ( University Hospital) damaged
− New hospital on Delmas damaged
− Eliazard Germain hospital (Petionville) damaged
− Petits freres et soeurs (Port au Prince) damaged
o Two hospitals were also damaged in the Dominican Republic, in Barahona and Santiago.
o The Argentine military hospital that had been serving MINUSTAH personnel is being augmented by two surgical teams and supplies provided by the Government of Argentina (White Helmets).
• The airport is currently not in service. A temporary health facility has been established there to provide care.
• Roads in Port-au-Prince are extremely difficult to navigate due to rubble and large amounts of people. Roads from the border with the Dominican Republic to the Port-au-Prince appear to be open.
• MINUSTAH (UN Security building) has collapsed causing a loss of life.
• The Emergency Operations Center in Washington DC is now coordinating logistics and communication.
• Experts from the PAHO/WHO Regional Disaster Response team will arrive in the Dominican Republic this evening. They will travel to Haiti on Thursday.
• The UN Health Cluster as soon as possible.
• Supplies have been released from PROMESS, the pharmaceutical warehouse of Haiti’s Ministry of Health.
• Trauma kits to care for 500 victims for 10 days are on their way.
• PAHO/WHO has advanced USD 200,000 from its disaster response fund to initiate immediate critical activities.
• The PAHO/WHO office in Haiti has sustained damage and staff will be working out of temporary facilities until a structural assessment of the building is completed.
• Many PAHO/WHO member countries in Latin America and the Caribbean have offered and are mobilizing humanitarian aid to Haiti.
• USAID/OFDA office has deployed a disaster assistance response team (DART) comprised of 11 people as well as Urban Search and Rescue Teams.
• A UN Medical Emergency Response team will be sent to Haiti, including stress counselors
• All teams sent to the area must be self-sufficient in terms of food and water as well as financial means (cash) as the banking system is down.
DONATE to RMF efforts in Haiti
- Armenia (24)
- Haiti (104)
- India (118)
- Indonesia (11)
- Kenya (37)
- Los Angeles (88)
- Mozambique (15)
- Myanmar (6)
- Nepal (5)
- Nigeria (8)
- Pakistan (51)
- Peru (72)
- Philippines (8)
- Puerto Rico (8)
- Serbia (8)
- South Sudan (53)
- Sri Lanka (38)
- Uganda (64)
- Athletes for Real Medicine (34)
- Community Support (12)
- Disaster Relief (125)
- Events (70)
- Health Research (1)
- In the news (66)
- Malnutrition Eradication (12)
- Medical Support of Individual Children (3)
- Mobile Clinic Outreach (3)
- Partners (26)
- Refugee Support (17)
- Thank You (26)
- Videos (18)
- Vocational Training (5)
- Voices from the Field (70)
- Whole Health (58)
- mHealth Programs (1)