Update from the Field
May 31, 2009
For the year 2009, there are now 20 new children enrolled in the pre-school. We employ four teachers and one caretaker to support the school activities. We are pleased to have the opportunity to provide the Muslim, Tamil speaking children in this community the opportunity to attend this pre-school. The after school study programs for young adults, age 13-15, that are sponsored by the school and Mr. Imthiyas, its director, have also increased the confidence of the community that they would get sound education and be prepared for the future.
Students of the under 7-year of age group who had gone to Government Primary Schools following Minhath Pre-school always do well in their studies there as well. Here they are pictured performing at a recent school play.
Our primary objectives for 2009 are to:
- Repair the playground that was damaged by the heavy rains earlier in the years and to expand it for the entire Muslim community.
- Obtain a Community Center that can be used for the pre-school and other organizations for meetings, seminars and concerts. Right now the Minhath Pre-school is being used for community functions – however it is not an ideal location for large community gatherings.
- Increase basic computer education for kids.
- Increase the number of specialized teachers from different areas for the Tamil Medium students, age 13-15 years.
- Provide special career guide programs for those graduating from school.
- Beginning media about performance of our village monthly to be circulated among our villagers to awaken them to community affairs.
- Starting a special Pre-School incentive programme to encourage peace and good will within the communities of this area.
- Continue the seminars for the G.C.E. Ordinary Level students and bio gas programmes for community.
The vision of the Pre-school continues to evolve beyond the scope of just pre-school children and includes the educational interests and support for children of all ages in Dickwella and surroundings. With your continued support the Minhath Pre-school can expand to become the community center for the Muslim Tamils living in Dickwella.