Pakistan: Relief and Health Services for Earthquake Affected Victims

Provided Primary Health Care to 7,856 Patients: Q1 2018

April 01, 2018

Dr. Rubina Mumtaz

Summary of Activities

The satellite clinic is a semi-mobile clinic located in remote hamlets serving 2–3 villages at a time. The relocation of the satellite clinic to a new site follows a needs-based approach using a snowballing technique. The services offered will be basic primary health care and primary MCH care. Any complications or cases requiring further investigations will be referred to the hub clinic.

The 8th morbidity report covers a three-month period: January 1 through March 31, 2018. The hub clinic site is located in the village Nagoha in Union Council Barikot. The satellite clinic has moved to its second location in the village Najigram, Union Council Galagay, since the launch of the hub-and-spoke clinic model. Daily clinic operating hours are from 8:00 A.M. to 5:00 P.M., Monday through Saturday. Sunday is day off, and Friday is a half-day in order to allow team members to observe their Friday afternoon prayers, which are considered sacred.

Over this period of three months, a total of 7,856 men, women, and children were provided with primary health care (PHC) and maternal and child health care (MCH) services.

Return to Top

Results &


AS Pakistan EAV Q1 2018 3

Primary Healthcare

Treating Illness

A total of 4,861 men, women, and children sought primary healthcare services in both our hub and satellite clinics. Combining both clinics, the most commonly presented illnesses were gastrointestinal (GIT) disorders, including diarrhea, vomiting, abdominal pain, and gastritis, at 1,551 (31.9%) cases. The second and third most commonly presented illnesses were respiratory tract infections (RTIs) at 1,013 (20.8%) cases, and urinary tract infections (UTIs) at 571 (11.7%) cases.

AS Pakistan EAV Q1 2018 74

Maternal and Child


A total of 3,000 women and children sought maternal and child health services at both our hub and satellite clinics. The hub clinic provided the majority of MCH services, serving 2,353 (78.4%) patients, while the satellite clinic tended to only 647 (21.6%) women with MCH care.

At both clinics, pregnancy-related services included antenatal care, which was provided to 277 (9.2%) pregnant women, and postnatal care, which was provided to 200 (6.7%) mothers. Family planning services were provided to 383 (12.8%) women, while 338 (11.3%) of women came for advice for primary and secondary infertility issues.

AS Pakistan EAV Q1 2018 40

Lab and Ultrasound


A total of 414 patients were provided with pathology lab investigations and ultrasound services from our hub clinic. Of these, 314 (75.8%) were routine pathology investigations, while the remaining 100 (24.2%) were ultrasounds.

Similarly to our previous morbidity reports, the most commonly provided lab test was the routine urine test at 153 (48.7%) patients, followed by pregnancy testing at 73 (23.2%), and the Widal test at 43 (13.7%). The most commonly conducted ultrasound was for antenatal purposes at 34 (34%) patients, followed by pelvic ultrasounds at 25 (25%) patients.

Return to Top


& Objectives


On October 26, 2015, at 14.09 hrs, an earthquake of magnitude 7.7 hit the Hindu Kush region of Afghanistan. The epicenter was centered in Badakhsan Province of Afghanistan, 76 Km north of the Chitral border of Pakistan.

The earthquake luckily spared extreme damage to infrastructure of the affected areas, hence the low rate of mortality and morbidity but remote villages tucked deep in the folds of the mountains composed of mud and wood have succumbed to the quake tremors rendering whole villages shelter less. Also the event triggered off a series of landslides in the mountainous regions that, in the face of the impending winter where it has been raining and snowing in some regions, led to power outages in many places and road blocks, isolating large tracts of areas where people are in need.


1. To provide immediate relief shelter
2. To provide immediate relief food
3. To provide immediate health care
4. To assist in rebuilding of destroyed homes

Return to Top



Click to enlarge

Real Medicine Foundation - more photos.
Real Medicine Foundation - more photos.
Real Medicine Foundation - more photos.
Real Medicine Foundation - more photos.
Real Medicine Foundation - more photos.
Real Medicine Foundation - more photos.
Real Medicine Foundation - more photos.
Return to Top



Direct Beneficiaries