Pakistan: Relief and Health Services for Earthquake Affected Victims
Number of Patients Treated at Clinic Location Remains High: Q2 2018
July 01, 2018
Dr. Rubina Mumtaz
Summary of Activities
The satellite clinic is a semi-mobile clinic located in remote hamlets serving 2–3 villages at a time. The relocation of the satellite clinic to a new site follows a needs-based approach using a snowballing technique. The services offered will be basic primary health care and primary MCH care. Any complications or cases requiring further investigations will be referred to the hub clinic. Each clinic is staffed with a doctor, a Lady Health Visitor (LHV), a medical technician, a nurse, and a lab technician along with security and sanitary staff.
This 9th morbidity report covers a three-month period: April 1 to June 30, 2018. The hub clinic site is located in the village Nagoha in Union Council Barikot. The satellite clinic has moved to its second location in the village Najigram, Union Council Galagay, since the launch of the hub-and-spoke clinic model. It has not moved to a third location because the demand of patients has not diminished. Daily clinic operating hours are from 8:00 A.M. to 5:00 P.M., Monday through Saturday. Sunday is day off, and Friday is a half-day in order to allow team members to observe their Friday afternoon prayers, which are considered sacred.
Over this period of three months, a total of 7,689 men, women, and children were provided with primary health care (PHC) and maternal and child health care (MCH) services. Of these patients, 4,526 (58.8%) were adults and 3,163 (41.1%) were children.
A total of 4,826 men, women and children sought primary healthcare services in both our hub and satellite clinics. The hub clinic served 2,578 (53.4%) patients with primary health care services, while the satellite clinic served 2,248 (46.6%) patients.
Combining both clinics, the top most common ailments were gastrointestinal (GIT) disorders, including diarrhea, vomiting, abdominal pain and gastritis, at 1,783 (36.9%) cases. The second and third most commonly presented illnesses were respiratory tract infections (RTIs) at 756 (15.7%) cases and urinary tract infections (UTIs) at 685 (14.2%) cases.
Maternal and Child
A total of 2,860 women and children sought maternal and child health services at both our hub and satellite clinics. The majority of MCH patients were served by the hub clinic, where 2,258 (79%) cases were treated, while the satellite clinic saw only 602 (21%) cases. This disparity, which is a regular trend as per our previous quarters, can be attributed to the pathology lab and ultrasound services available at the hub clinic.
At both clinics, pregnancy-related services included antenatal care, which was provided to 116 (4.1%) pregnant women, and postnatal care, which was provided to 152 (5.3%) mothers. 293 (10.2%) women sought family planning services, while 29 (1%) women came for advice for primary and secondary infertility issues.
Lab and Ultrasound
During this quarter, the number of patients who sought out pathology lab investigations and ultrasound services has reduced to 275, as compared to the previous quarter’s total of 414. Of this quarter’s lab and ultrasound services, 198 (72%) were routine pathology investigations, while the remaining 77 (28%) were ultrasounds.
The three most commonly provided lab tests were Widal tests, pregnancy tests, and routine urine tests at 62 (31.3%), 60 (30.3%), and 58 (29.2%) respectively. The most commonly conducted ultrasound was for antenatal purposes at 29 (37.7%) followed by pelvic ultrasounds at 20 (26%).
On October 26, 2015, at 14.09 hrs, an earthquake of magnitude 7.7 hit the Hindu Kush region of Afghanistan. The epicenter was centered in Badakhsan Province of Afghanistan, 76 Km north of the Chitral border of Pakistan.
The earthquake luckily spared extreme damage to infrastructure of the affected areas, hence the low rate of mortality and morbidity but remote villages tucked deep in the folds of the mountains composed of mud and wood have succumbed to the quake tremors rendering whole villages shelter less. Also the event triggered off a series of landslides in the mountainous regions that, in the face of the impending winter where it has been raining and snowing in some regions, led to power outages in many places and road blocks, isolating large tracts of areas where people are in need.
1. To provide immediate relief shelter
2. To provide immediate relief food
3. To provide immediate health care
4. To assist in rebuilding of destroyed homes