Provide long-term medical support and treatment to children suffering from congenital health conditions affecting Growth Hormone production and cholesterol modulation.
To coordinate and manage the system which delivers treatment to the children, provides medical consultations and ensures patient compliance to treatment protocols to optimize the children’s chances for growth and maximum health benefits.
Summary of RMF-sponsored activities carried out during the reporting period under each project objective:
- Organized and held 3 monthly meetings for the months of April, May, and June 2012.
- Information was collected from the children about their treatment progress at the monthly meetings.
- Traveling expenses and nutritious food packages were also provided for the children and their families.
- The monthly food parcels were handed over to the 5 children by Mr. Nishantha Sandakelum for the months of April, May, and June 2012.
- A session was held with Prof. Sujeewa & other medical consultants at the Karapitiya Teaching Hospital for the children’s parents to see the progress of the treatment and advise on any issues.
|April (25TH Meeting)||28/04/2012||
|No.62, ‘’Ben-Mina’’, Medaketiya, Tangalle, Sri Lanka||Last Saturday of every month|
|May (26TH Meeting)||02/06/2012|
|June (27TH Meeting)||30/06/2012|
- Madumekala is now 18 years old and has finished her schooling after sitting for the Ordinary Level Examinations.
- She has continued to lose weight this past quarter (from approx. 24 kg in Q4 2011, to 22kg in Q1 2012 and down to approx. 20.6kg this quarter) but she has continued to grow slightly in height.
- She is also continuing the Sex Hormone Medication, Climen, at 1 Tablet daily
- She was referred to the clinic at Karapitiya in the Ward No. 1 to get a Bone assay. It had revealed that her Bone age is 14. The decision for the increased dosage was 10 clicks at night.
- Fazeer participated in most but not all of the monthly meetings with his Mother.
- He is studying in the 10th grade, and his dosage of the Growth Hormone Therapy has continued at 10 clicks each night. He has gained height and weight this past quarter.
- He was strictly advised that in the future he has to attend every activity of the Project of Long Term Medical Support.
- Madura is now 15 years old, studies in Grade 11 and will take the Ordinary Level Government Examination in December of 2012.
- He has continued to gain height this quarter; his weight has fluctuated with 7 clicks of growth hormone given every night.
- The medical authorities at Karapitiya Teaching Hospital are very satisfied with his progress.
- Madura had received a new Auto Click Machine from Baurs Company, free of charge.
- There has been a slight increase in height since last quarter (146cm to 146.9cm) and he has gained 4 kilos during the quarter.
- The dosage of Growth Hormone Therapy continues at 9 clicks every night.
- He was also given the Injection of Testoviron (Sex Hormone) each month.
- His cholesterol medication (Rosuvastatin and Ezetimibe) has been increased and he has been instructed to continue visiting the clinic each month.
- He also receives a food parcel with more grains and a packet of fat free milk powder.
More Reports on: Long Term Medical Support and Growth Hormone Treatment for Children Archive
Country Page: Sri Lanka
Initiative Page: Long Term Medical Support and Growth Hormone Treatment for Children