Nepal: The B Project
Land Cleared for Primary School and Community Center: May-December 2017
February 08, 2018
Sandesh Dhakal and Deanna Boulard
Summary of Activities
- The transfer of ownership of land to Seven Summits Women was completed in coordination with the Land Revenue Office for Bhotenamlang Community Center.
- Mr. Kaji Gurung has been appointed as the Field Officer from Seven Summits Women to lead and monitor the construction of both the community center and school.
- During the reporting period, the local team held meetings with government agencies, school management committees, rural municipalities, district-level government agencies, and other authorities. These visits were carried out for organizational renewal, permission from government agencies for the program, and consultations with different stakeholders and specialists.
- On December 14, 2017, Seven Summits Women signed a memorandum of understanding (MOU) with Build Up Nepal (BUN) for the construction of the community center in Bhotenamlang and Balsudhar Primary School in Kafle.
- On December 18, 2017, materials were purchased for the children’s uniforms, and they were delivered to the tailor, Mr. Ram Nepali, in Bhotenamlang on December 20, 2017. The tailoring team will begin sewing the school uniforms in the coming weeks.
- Currently, we are supporting a total of 6 teachers at the following schools: Balsudhar Primary School (2), Shree Bachalamai Basic School (2), Bhotenamlang Secondary School (1), Shree Chilaune Secondary Scool (1).
Proceeding with Building Plans
On December 20, 2017, we met with President of Paanchpokhari Thangpal Rural Municipality, Mr. Tashi Lama, for approval of our construction plan for the community center in Bhotenamlang and Balsudhar Primary School in Kafle.
Approval was granted, and we hope to start construction of both the community center and school in early January 2018. The design for the school is already approved, and the design for the community center will be completed by Build Up Nepal by the end of December 2017.
Bhotenamlang Community Center
For several months of monsoon season, progress on the Bhotenamlang Community Center was slow due to obstructed roads. However, by September, landscaping and building temporary shelters for workers had begun. By December 11, 2017, the land for the community center had been completely cleared.
Balsudhar Primary School, Kafle
On November 17, 2017, the building site was visited by Operation Manager and Lead Engineer Kulendra Neupane from Build Up Nepal (BUN) and the Seven Summits Women team, and on December 16, 2017, the land for the school had been completely cleared.
Build Up Nepal (BUN)
Supporting Local Workers
BUN is a nonprofit company that specializes in compressed stabilized earth block (CSEB) brick building technology, commonly referred to as earth brick. Through this technology, brick is locally manufactured instead of being acquired elsewhere and then transported. Local soil is mixed with sand and cement in a machine that produces bricks.
BUN will provide brickmaking training for a week, hiring local men and women for the training. BUN will then provide construction training while their engineer leads the entire construction process. BUN will provide modern, earthquake resistant, government-approved designs for the community center and school.
Continuation of teaching support has been a necessity, as the two primary (or basic) schools did not have teachers at all. At Bhotenamlang Secondary School, we support one teacher, who promotes student hygiene, conducts early childhood development (ECD) classes, and monitors the water filtration system at each of the schools on alternating Sundays. At Shree Chilaune Secondary School, we have just started to support one computer teacher, meeting a fundamental need observed at the school. Currently, we are supporting a total of 6 teachers at 4 different schools.
School Uniforms Provided
Supporting Local Women and Children
We have begun preparations to provide school uniforms for 432 students at 4 schools in the remote villages of
The B Project’s target area, Sindhupalchok district. The schools were chosen based on the income level of the villages and students from minority castes:
- Balsudhar Primary School, Kafle – 45 students
- Shree Bachalamai Basic School, Lekharka – 119 students
- Panch Pokhari Basic School, Gobre – 16 students
- Golmeshwari Basic School, Tar – 252 students
Former Trainees Hone Skills
Empowering Local Women
In 2016, we provided a 3-month tailoring training program to 10 women from the village of Bhotenamlang. With the aim to further empower local women, we decided to hire 4 of these former trainees to work as assistant seamstress, led by the professional village tailor, to sew the children’s school uniforms. This will provide the women with the opportunity to hone their skills by getting additional, first-hand experience and working with the professional tailor. This photo shows the team that will be sewing the uniforms for the students.
Maya Gurung and Shailee Basnet are now respected leaders in their community. They have earned the reputation of being ‘doers’ among villagers who often only see ‘talkers.’ Maya and Shailee have signed an Memorandum of Understanding with the district government to rebuild five schools in Maya’s home village of Bhotenamlang in the district of Sindhupalchok. This district has the greatest death toll after the Nepal earthquake, and in Maya’s village, there is literally not a house standing. As a result, sex-trafficking is more rampant than ever. Keeping kids, especially girls, in school is the most effective way to ensure that they stay away from traffickers. Educating women in remote areas, as well as empowering them by creating choices, is the way to keep them safe and on track.
- Rebuild, equip and staff six schools
- Create proper administration
- Facilitate running water and sanitary toilets
- Provide school supplies
- Provide counseling and teacher training & support
- Provide afternoon meals for children
- Establish initiatives to build awareness of anti-trafficking for children and adults