The Downey Family Care Center Update
August 1, 2011
Dr. Natalie Nevins and Dr. Martina Fuchs
Real Medicine Foundation supports Downey Regional Medical Center (DRMC) and Amrit Davaa World Health Corporation (ADWH) who have partnered to create a primary, preventative and urgent care family clinic in Downey, California. The clinic will serve the underserved, uninsured and underinsured in Southeastern Los Angeles County. These communities are in desperate need of a patient centered medical home where children, adults and elderly can receive the full spectrum of primary and preventative care in a financially feasible venue. The clinic is located at 8536 Firestone Blvd in the city of Downey.
The clinic is still under construction because of a $100,000 finance gap. It will provide the underserved a healthcare home that offers a high standard of healthcare in a culturally competent manner. It will offer patients a partnership with their healthcare providers.
Preventative care and continuity of care provided will be tracked to demonstrate positive long-term systemic results. The clinic’s increased full-spectrum healthcare access will have the capability to improve the quality and quantity of patients’ lives as well as decrease the burden on the overtaxed emergency rooms.
Description of the Center
Access to preventative medicine is the key to a healthy community. This begins with access to primary care health services that partner with the patient to provide education as well as direct care. The clinic will also be a team training site for DRMC’s Family Practice residents, medical students, nursing students, Family Nurse Practitioners/Physician Assistants in training, Optometry/Podiatry/Dental students in training from Western University of Health Sciences.
Clinic services are projected to include:
- Comprehensive Primary care for children, adults and seniors
- Pre-natal care and education
- Preventive education on asthma, diabetes, heart disease, HIV, STD’s, teen pregnancy, obesity
- Women, Infants & Children (WIC) enrollment
- Urgent care services
- Basic radiology and lab services
- Some medication services
- After hours and weekend appointments
- Patients seen regardless of ability to pay
- Nutritional and exercise education
- Mental Health referrals and counseling on-site
- Community Outreach
The initial step taken towards creation of the center is the renovation of a building two blocks from Downey Regional Medical Center; the facility will include nine treatment rooms, radiology, laboratory, medication dispensing, two counseling/education rooms and a conference room for resident and patient education. In addition to primary and urgent care services for indigent patients as well as those within the traditional DRMC service area, the clinic will serve as a referral source for low-income populations and as a follow-up facility for those discharged from the hospital.
Current funding sources/supportive partners include:
- Real Medicine Foundation – In-kind and monetary donations, and assistance with grant applications
- The Home Depot – $20,000 in materials donation
- South L.A. Health Projects WIC – On-site training and enrollment for patients
- Lung Power – On-site education and community outreach on asthma education
- Direct Relief USA – Free medical supplies and medications
- Giving Children Hope – Medical supplies and medications, free or at reduced cost
- Western University of Health Sciences: Colleges of Nursing, Allied health, Podiatry, Dental and Optometry
- Southern California Alcohol and Drug Program, Inc. – Mental health referrals and services
- South LA YouthBuild – Coalition for Responsible Community Development (CRCD) & LA Trade Tech – Assisting with the clinic build out
- Rio Hondo/Vernon Rotary Club
- Operation USA – Donating equipment
- Downey Lions Club
- Downey Federal Credit Union
- Sherwin Williams – Donating paint
- Morrison Electric