Update from the Field
April 30, 2007
Dr. Martina Fuchs
Rubina Mumtaz and I visited the Tangalle Hospital in March. The progress that has been made is fantastic. If I hadn't witnessed this hospital immediately after the tsunami, I would not believe it is the same hospital. It turned from a dilapidated and depressing facility into a 'Type A' Base Hospital. A massive increase of admissions, new doctors, and nurses has taken, and is taking place. Patients have new confidence and are using the hospital in unprecedented numbers. Doctors are now excited and eager to work at Tangalle Hospital. The overall value of this project exceeds US$1,000,000.00. And this once run-down hospital is now buzzing with life! www.tangallehospital.org
Tangalle Hospital now includes:
- A brand-new Operating Theater with two operating suites. The existing suite was reconstructed, enlarged & fitted with piped gas, air & oxygen, as well as a 'Fresh-Air A/C system' for each theater.
- ANd: renowned Surgeon Dr. K.H.R. Karunaratne
- An Intensive Care Unit including brand-new apparatus & infrastructure.
- A new 140KVA 'Back-up Generator' – purchased & installed for the Operating Theaters and ICU.
- A brand-new Matachana High Pressure Steam Sterilizer, Model 1006 E-1, procured by Direct Relief International.
- A Blood Bank – renovated & fully equipped to receive, test & store blood for surgeries and emergencies.
- An X-ray Department – completely renovated and upgraded, as well as an Ultra Sound Scanner.
- Six patient wards including bathrooms – completely renovated, furnished & equipped.
- Two Incubators for premature babies.
- Patient Monitors & Defibrillators.
- A Tuberculosis testing room.
- A new Outpatient Building with fully equipped Dental Unit.
- An enlarged Laboratory & Internal Pharmacy.
- Two Nurses’ Rooms – completely renovated & furnished.
- A completely upgraded Infrastructure – corridors, floor & wall tiles, electrical & plumbing improvements, septic tanks, drain channels, guttering, plasterwork, roof repairs, new toilets & sinks throughout the hospital, new electricity transformer room, and much more.
- A brand-new Kitchen – extended, reconstructed, fully tiled & fitted with modern, high quality, stainless steel fabrications.
- A new Laundry – complete with full-size industrial washing, drying & pressing machines.
- A new Clinical Waste Incinerator, meeting European emission standards.
- A Morgue – renovated, extended & equipped with a refrigeration unit.
- Basic Training of supporting Staff to promote hygiene & improve patient care.
- Participation in projects to improve General Standards.
- Cleaning & Maintenance Program: Throughout the entire project, a team was employed to minimize inconvenience to patients, staff and management.
- Free Staff Training in cooperation the German Klinikum Weiden medical team.
For continuity, Nick Buckingham has recently joined the Hospital Development Committee and will participate in the future evolution and development of the Base Hospital Tangalle.