Real Long Term Care For Children In Yayawatta
October 17, 2012
Stephney Minerva Fernando
In 2005, shortly after the tsunami, Dr. Martina Fuchs met Madumekala, an adolescent girl suffering from panhypopituitarism. At age 11, Madu was the height of a three year old. In an unsupported gesture of compassion, Dr. Fuchs chose to fund Madu's treatment for growth hormone therapy and initiated the supervision of this treatment through Ruhuna Medical College, Galle. While over the next two years, as RMF expanded this program to care for 6 more children suffering from long term health conditions, it was impossible to predict that this one act of compassion would initiate a country wide program to identify and treat over 120 more children suffering from human growth hormone deficiencies
Photo: RMF Sri Lanka staff and some of the children supported by long term care program
Summary of RMF-sponsored activities carried out during the reporting period under each project objective:
- Organized and held 3 monthly meetings for the months of April, May, and June 2012.
- Information was collected from the children about their treatment progress at the monthly meetings.
- Traveling expenses and nutritious food packages were also provided for the children and their families.
- The monthly food parcels were handed over to the 5 children by Mr. Nishantha Sandakelum for the months of April, May, and June 2012.
- A session was held with Prof. Sujeewa & other medical consultants at the Karapitiya Teaching Hospital for the children’s parents to see the progress of the treatmentand advise on any issues.
- Madumekala is now 18 years old and has finished her schooling after sitting for the Ordinary Level Examinations.
- She has continued to lose weight this past quarter (from approx. 24 kg in Q4 2011, to 22kg in Q1 2012 and down to approx. 20.6kg this quarter) but she has continued to grow slightly in height.
- She is also continuing the Sex Hormone Medication, Climen, at 1 Tablet daily
- She was referred to the clinic at Karapitiya in the Ward No. 1 to get a Bone assay. It had revealed that her Bone age is 14. The decision for the increased dosage was 10 clicks at night.
- Fazeer participated in most but not all of the monthly meetings with his Mother.
- He is studying in the 10th grade, and his dosage of the Growth Hormone Therapy has continued at 10 clicks each night. He has gained height and weight this past quarter.
- He was strictly advised that in the future he has to attend every activity of the Project of Long Term Medical Support.
- Madura is now 15 years old, studies in Grade 11 and will take the Ordinary Level Government Examination in December of 2012.
- He has continued to gain height this quarter; his weight has fluctuated with 7 clicks of growth hormone given every night.
- The medical authorities at Karapitiya Teaching Hospital are very satisfied with his progress.
- Madura had received a new Auto Click Machine from Baurs Company, free of charge.
- There has been a slight increase in height since last quarter (146cm to 146.9cm) and he has gained 4 kilos during the quarter.
- The dosage of Growth Hormone Therapy continues at 9 clicks every night.
- He was also given the Injection of Testoviron (Sex Hormone) each month.
- His cholesterol medication (Rosuvastatin and Ezetimibe) has been increased and he has been instructed to continue visiting the clinic each month.
- He also receives a food parcel with more grains and a packet of fat free milk powder.