Sri Lanka: Palathuduwa Preschool Support
Preschoolers See Many Exciting Animals on Annual Trip: Q3 2017
November 01, 2017
Summary of Activities
Classes and activities continued as planned, providing parents and guardians with support and advice in the proper care of their young children, and providing children with a safe environment, at least one nutritious meal a day, and quality preschool education, including health awareness, eco-awareness, diversity awareness, and basic communication technologies.
Activities Carried Out this Quarter:
- Supported the ability of children’s guardians to provide more care and protection for their children
- Ensured the health and sanitation of the children
- Prepared the children to become nature-loving, educated citizens
- Educated the children on how to live in peace and harmony among different ethnic groups
- We went on our annual trip in August to visit Mattala airport, bird paradise, botanical garden, and Ridiyagama Safari Park
- The children learned about various careers, and had the opportunity to dress according to their ambition. They learned how to identify the dress of different professions, such as a doctor, nurse, policeman, or teacher, and what special abilities and knowledge these professionals have
- The children also had the opportunity to dress as a different nationality, such as a Sinhala, Tamil, Muslim, or Burgher
The children had a lesson on different types of careers, and they learned how to dress according to their ambition. They did it well, but unfortunately, only ten children participated in the event. Some students do not participate in extracurricular activities, and their parents also do not want to help them. They were very nice on that day.
For the annual trip this year, we decided to travel to areas very close because children tend to get tired. So we visited special places in Hambanthota: Sooriyawewa airport, bird paradise, botanical garden, and Ridiyagama Safari Park. Children observed how to land a plane and fill it with fuel. The children rode in a tram that was driven by a guide, who explained about every type of tree. Afterwards, we visited Ridiyagama Safari Park. Safari buses were staffed with a driver and a guide, who explained about every type of animal. We saw a lion come near to the bus. We could see elephants, lions, camels, ostriches, deer, zebras, monkeys, and pigs. This trip allowed the children to see many different types of trees, birds, and animals, and they enjoyed it very much.
The children had a lesson where they learned that there are different nationalities that dress in different ways. The teachers described how they dress, and the children had an opportunity to dress like a different nationality.
Click to enlarge
More Reports on: Palathuduwa Preschool Support Archive
Country Page: Sri Lanka
Initiative Page: Palathuduwa Preschool Support