Uganda: Buwate Sports Academy
Two Students Secure Scholarships: Q1 2017
May 26, 2017
Naku Charles Lwanga and Alphonse Mwanamwolho
Summary of Activities
- School fees were paid for all children sponsored by RMF, and the children were able to study and complete their end-of-term examinations without interruption.
- Children who were in candidate classes (primary and secondary) completed their national examinations.
- Wages for Buwate Sports Academy staff were paid promptly, which helps keep the team’s morale high.
- Trainees were enrolled for vocational training in the hairdressing and tailoring departments.
- The Kireka boys’ team participated in the Kampala Central District 2nd Division League, where they played against six strong teams. The games were held at different sports grounds within the city. At the finals, the Kireka boys’ team emerged victors in the league.
- Continuous weekend training sessions were conducted as planned.
- F*ood and charcoal were purchased* so that we could provide the children with a meal during training sessions and away games. Buwate Sports Academy was also able to pay its utility bills.
- The funding from RMF/MTCF enabled Buwate Sports Academy to purchase and distribute scholastic materials to orphans and vulnerable children.
- Financing from RMF/MTCF was also used to safely transport the children to away games and sports activities.
Livelihood Skills Training
Tailoring and Hairdressing
Buwate Sports Academy is promoting livelihood skills through tailoring and hairdressing and beauty therapy classes. This component is expanding with the help of RMF. We receive thanks and testimonies from women who used to stay idle at home, but now can work at beauty salons. Students have been fully enrolled for the vocational training program, and the turnout is huge.
Nakato Francisca and Nakibuka Cathy
Two Buwate Sports Academy girls (Nakato Francisca and Nakibuka Cathy) who completed the primary leaving examination (PLE) in 2016 secured scholarships to join secondary schools because of their talent in sports. They received scholarships to Taggi High School, Entebbe because of their skills in football (American soccer).
Kampala Central District 2nd Division League
Gold Medal Winners
Buwate Sports Academy participated in the Kampala Central District 2nd Division League, and the boys won, bringing the medal back to Buwate. The Academy has changed the negative impression that the rest of the city had of Buwate. Buwate was previously known as a slum, an area for criminals. Now Buwate Sports Academy has redefined the area as hub for talented children.
In early 2013, RMF, the Mother Teresa Children’s Foundation in Italy (Devoti Madre Terese Per I Bambini) and World Children’s Fund started funding support of the Buwate Sports Academy. Buwate Sports Academy is a sports club and activity group for children living in Buwate village, Kira Town, Kampala District. The Buwate Sports Academy seeks develop the youth advancement component of our humanitarian work through games, sports training, vocational training and other educational opportunities.
- Provide funding to assist the operations and growth of Buwate Sports Academy
- Provide funding to allow children from surrounding slums to attend school
- Provide funding for vocational training opportunities including tailoring, hairdressing, and cosmetology
- Increase Buwate’s popularity in hopes that this will attract social services from the government and other development partners