With deep sadness, RMF’s global family mourns the loss of our valued member, Caroline Tukugize. Caroline died on Wednesday, November 29th at Paragon Private Hospital in Bugolobi, Kampala. After undergoing a successful C-section to deliver twins, Caroline had an asthma attack. The hospital did not have oxygen to treat her, and she passed away while being transferred to another hospital. Many team members who knew and loved Caroline were angered by this lack of essential treatment, which would have been available at an RMF-supported facility. Her passing is doubly sad, in that it could have been prevented. As we mourn the loss of Caroline, RMF is determined to honor her legacy by further strengthening and expanding our programs for pregnant women and mothers.
During Caroline’s three years with RMF, she managed our vocational training program, and then our larger health program in Kiryandongo Refugee Settlement, Uganda. We remember her hard work and dedication, which helped make these programs extremely successful. Because of Caroline’s commitment to the mothers of Kiryandongo, safe deliveries doubled from 2015 to 2016, and no mother died in childbirth. We remember her successful mission to protect other mothers, and we remember her love, which gave energy and meaning to her work. You are greatly missed, Caroline.
The Panyadoli Health Centres, located in Kiryandongo Refugee Settlement near Bweyale, Uganda, provide healthcare services to over 100,000 refugees from Kenya, South Sudan, DR Congo, Burundi, and Rwanda, as well as members of the host community.
- Provide medicine, medical supplies, and medical support
- Support the Health Management Information System Maintenance (staff and petrol supply)
- Maintain hygiene at clinic to Best Practice Western Medicine standards
- Enhance existing structures for Malnutrition ward and main center
- Provide cooking materials such as charcoal stoves, saucepans, utensils, etc.
- Upkeep and renovation of the health center through periodic re-painting and re-plastering.
More Reports on: Panyadoli Healthcare Project Archive
Country Page: Uganda
Initiative Page: Panyadoli Healthcare Project