Provide funding to assist the operations and growth of the Buwate Sports Academy.
Summary of RMF/MTCF-sponsored activities carried out during the reporting period under each project objective:
- Purchase and distribution of sports equipment, supplies, food and clothing for Buwate Sports Academy general operations
- Children are taken to a nearby clinic for comprehensive healthcare services, funded by RMF/MTCF. We are also paying medical bills for the youths.
- Negotiations for the expansion of projects in Buwate began in Q2 and moved forward in Q3.
- Participation in the UNESCO Global Peace Games for Children and Youth
Results and/or accomplishments achieved during this reporting period:
- Sports academy team members and members of the community continue to receive sports equipment, supplies, food and clothing for the Buwate Sports Academy to support sports activities/events.
- Buwate Sports Academy youths participated in the United Nations Educational, Scientific, and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) 2013 Global Peace Games for Children and Youth. This event was organized on September 28, 2013 at the Buwate Sports Academy’s playground as an opportunity for the youth of the local communities to demonstrate their commitment to making the world a better, more peaceful, and healthier place, and to express their solidarity in the mission of global friendship, peaceful solutions and nonviolence.
- All 70 participating children received messages from UNESCO throughout the sporting event. Mr. Wilfred Lemke, United Nations Secretary-General’s Special Adviser on Sport for Development and Peace, and FIFA President, Mr. Joseph (Sepp) Blatter, emphasized the promotion of peace, human dignity, and respect. 50 children and youth signed the UNESCO manifesto.
- Sportswear and equipment were purchased.
- Youth camp for Buwate Spots Academy attendees was successfully funded.
- Food was procured and water bills were paid in full for children undergoing training at the Buwate Sports Academy.
- Children were taken to a nearby clinic for comprehensive healthcare services, funded by RMF/MTCF. Medical bills for the attending youths were paid.
- The youths attending the Buwate Sports Academy have consistently received “peace messages” through the Academy’s staff and counselors, giving them the ability to better understand peace and reconciliation as a positive alternative to conflict.
- Sensitization and training on HIV/AIDS awareness, sanitation and hygiene, and other public health topics have been successfully conducted at each sports event hosted by the Buwate Sports Academy.
- First aid kits were distributed to Buwate Sports Academy youths; and they also continue to be insured for healthcare.
- The children of this program continue to be in good health because they are exercising and also have some of their minor medical bills paid.
In early 2013, RMF, the Mother Teresa Children’s Foundation in Italy (Devoti Madre Terese Per I Bambini) and World Children’s Fund started funding support of the Buwate Sports Academy. Buwate Sports Academy is a sports club and activity group for children living in Buwate village, Kira Town, Kampala District. The Buwate Sports Academy seeks develop the youth advancement component of our humanitarian work through games, sports training, vocational training and other educational opportunities.
- Provide funding to assist the operations and growth of Buwate Sports Academy
- Provide funding to allow children from surrounding slums to attend school
- Provide funding for vocational training opportunities including tailoring, hairdressing, and cosmetology
- Increase Buwate’s popularity in hopes that this will attract social services from the government and other development partners