Uganda: Buwate Sports Academy
Winning Games, Creating New Programs: Q2 2016
September 27, 2016
Naku Charles Lwanga
Summary of Activities
During this reporting period Buwate Sports Academy:
- Participated in the Post-Election Tournament at the Kireka sports grounds. The event was held during a holiday, and attracted 5 teams. Buwate Sports Academy won the tournament.
- Held a 2-week, intensive training program for the children who had returned from school for the first term holiday. The purpose of this 2-week training program is to keep the children physically fit. This was possible because of the funding from RMF/MTCF.
- Organized several friendly matches for both boys and girls’ teams and used financing from RMF/MTCF to transport the children to away games and sports activities.
- Introduced hairdressing and beauty therapy training in addition to the tailoring program that we already offered. These programs are long-term strategies to empower people and fight poverty.
As mentioned above, the children at Buwate Sports Academy participated in various sports tournaments that were organized both in-house and at different locations. We were also able to purchase sports equipment, such as training jerseys, sports uniforms, football (American soccer) cleats, balls, and goalkeeper gloves to support the program.
Wages for Buwate Sports Academy’s staff were paid in a timely manner as well as school fees for the children on scholarship, allowing them to continue their studies without interruption.
Addionally, funding from RMF/MTCF enabled us to purchase and distribute scholastic materials as well as food and charcoal, providing the children with a meal during sports activities.
Buwate Sports Academy has introduced hairdressing and beauty therapy training in addition to the tailoring program that we already offered. These programs are long-term strategies to empower people and fight poverty.
Comprehensive Healthcare Services
When First Aid is Needed
Children are taken to a nearby clinic for comprehensive healthcare services, funded by RMF. We are also paying medical bills for the attending youths
In early 2013, RMF, the Mother Teresa Children’s Foundation in Italy (Devoti Madre Terese Per I Bambini) and World Children’s Fund started funding support of the Buwate Sports Academy. Buwate Sports Academy is a sports club and activity group for children living in Buwate village, Kira Town, Kampala District. The Buwate Sports Academy seeks develop the youth advancement component of our humanitarian work through games, sports training, vocational training and other educational opportunities.
- Provide funding to assist the operations and growth of Buwate Sports Academy
- Provide funding to allow children from surrounding slums to attend school
- Provide funding for vocational training opportunities including tailoring, hairdressing, and cosmetology
- Increase Buwate’s popularity in hopes that this will attract social services from the government and other development partners