Sri Lanka: Palathuduwa Preschool Support
Palathuduwa Preschool Report: Q4 2015
December 31, 2015
Summary of Activities
Classes and activities continued as planned, providing parents and guardians with support and advice in the proper care of their young children, and providing children with a safe environment, at least one nutritious meal a day, and quality preschool education, including health awareness, eco-awareness, diversity awareness, and basic communication technologies.
Palathuduwa is a very rural area, and 90% of its residents are very poor, low-income families who earn a living as day laborers, performing tasks such as growing low country vegetables, making bricks, and working for others.
- Respiratory Tract Infections, Viral Infections with Fever, Asthma, Stomach Disorders
- Lack of education among parents and older generations
- Supported the ability of children’s guardians to provide more care and protection for their children
- Ensured the health and sanitation of the children
- Prepared the children to become nature-loving, educated citizens
- Educated the children on how to live in peace and harmony among different ethnic groups
- Made the children aware of modern communication technology and its benefits
Our teachers organized a small school concert. In this concert, students used their abilities and skills to perform for others.
Palathuduwa’s Grama Niladhari (village officer) also attended the concert. Her daughter is a former student of Palathuduwa Preschool. The Grama Niladhari brought some books and pencils as present for the children.
Parents prepared small treats for all concert attendees and the children who performed in the event. Parents helped make the concert a success from start to finish.