Provide long-term medical support and treatment to children suffering from congenital health conditions affecting Growth Hormone production and cholesterol modulation.
To coordinate and manage the system which delivers treatment to the children, provides medical consultations and ensures patient compliance to treatment protocols to optimize the children’s chances for growth and maximum health benefits.
Summary of RMF-sponsored activities carried out during the reporting period under each project objective:
- Organized and held 3 monthly meetings for the months of July, August, and September 2012.
- Information was collected from the children about their treatment progress at the monthly meetings.
- Traveling expenses and nutritious food packages were also provided for the children and their families.
- The monthly food parcels were handed over to the 5 children by Mr. Nishantha Sandakelum for the months of July and September 2012. In August, Fazeer was not able to pick up his food parcel so only 4 parcels were given out.
- On September 10th, a session was held with Prof. Sujeewa & other medical consultants at the Karapitiya Teaching Hospital for the children’s parents to see the progress of the treatment and advise on any issues.
|July (28th Meeting)||28/07/2012||
|No.62, ‘’Ben-Mina’’, Medaketiya, Tangalle, Sri Lanka||Last Saturday of every month|
|August (29th Meeting)||25/08/2012|
|September (30th Meeting)||29/09/2012|
- Her weight has continued to be on the low side (20.6kg last quarter to 20.5 at end of this quarter) but she has continued to grow very slightly in height.
- Madumekala is now 18 years old and has finished her schooling after sitting for the Ordinary Level Examinations.
- She is also continuing the Sex Hormone Medication, Climen, at 1 Tablet daily.
- She was referred to a new physician, Dr. Manilka Sumanatilaka, the resident Endocrinologist for further consultation on her growth hormone therapy.
- RMF Project Coordinator, Minerva Fernando, is now personally administering the growth hormone at the residence of Madumekala’s family to ensure that it is done properly and regularly.
- Fazeer participated in most but not all of the monthly meetings with his Mother. He was not given his food parcel this past quarter as he did not attend all of the meetings.
- He is studying in the 10th grade, and his dosage of the Growth Hormone Therapy has continued at 10 clicks each night. He has gained height and weight this past quarter.
- Madura is now 15 years old, studies in Grade 11 and will take the Ordinary Level Government Examination in December of 2012.
- He has continued to gain height this quarter; his weight has fluctuated with 7 clicks of growth hormone given every night.
- The medical authorities at Karapitiya Teaching Hospital are very satisfied with his progress.
- Madura had received a new Auto Click Machine from Baurs Company, free of charge.
- There has been a slight increase in height since last quarter (146cm to 146.9cm) and he has gained 4 kilos during the quarter.
- The dosage of Growth Hormone Therapy continues at 9 clicks every night.
- He was also given the Injection of Testoviron (Sex Hormone) each month.
- Gayan is to receive special instruction by a tutor next quarter as his academic performance has been very poor.
- His cholesterol medication Ezetimibe has been increased to 40 mgs in August due to high cholesterol readings in August.
- He also receives a food parcel with more grains and a packet of fat free milk powder.