Until mid-2015, RMF supported the improvement and operation of Gure Model Health Centre, and in October 2016, we shifted our focus to health outreach. We provide free clinics and education sessions primarily for women, children, and the elderly. Through these outreach clinics, RMF aims to reach underserved, vulnerable community members with education, primary health care, maternal, and child health care.
The community and health stakeholders of Gure have offered their thanks and support to RMF through a letter from Chief of Gure Alhaji Abdullahi Kilishi. RMF sponsored a free health outreach program May 1–5, 2017. The five-day program provided free healthcare services to the people of Gure and its surrounding communities at the Model Primary Health Centre in the town of Gure, a Baruten local government area of Kwara State, Nigeria.
Nigeria has the 4th lowest survival rate of children under five out of 191 countries, a child mortality rate of 140 of 1000, and a maternal mortality rate accounting for 10% of the global burden of maternal deaths.
Real Medicine Foundation has partnered with the Kwara State Ministry of Health, The Nigerian Youth Service Corps and Gure Gwassoro Ward Development Committee to support the long abandoned Gure Model Health Center. Situated near the Nigerian/Benin Republic border, the clinic is the only access to healthcare for a population of 154,376 in the Baruteen Local Government area and its surrounding towns. RMF has been funding facility upgrades, providing medicines, medical equipment, and local staff to increase and strengthen its capacity to deliver best practice western medicine and critical maternal child health care services.
- Human capacity building and upgrade of the clinic for better health care delivery
- Provide regular medicines and medical supplies to the clinic
- Provide support to existing medical personnel
- Investigate solar electrical supply
- Borehole for drinking water and water to clinic
- Review urgent needs to increase the quantity of patients treated and quality of treatment
- Prepare larger project quotes for capacity improvement (solar power/ borehole drilling)