The April 2015 earthquake demolished a vast majority of structures in the northern Gorkha region. RMF has partnered with Nepali and community organizations to develop a model village (a high functioning, safe community to be used as a model for other reconstruction projects).
RMF is currently engaged in relief and reconstruction efforts in Arupokhari and the surrounding villages, which include:
- Providing food and temporary shelter to affected communities
- Establishing a well-stocked, well-staffed health clinic
- Working to build earthquake-safe schools, homes, and a health clinic
- Rebuild schools (affecting 600+ students)
- Provide housing for teachers (improving teacher quality and retention)
- Rebuild homes (100 temporary shelters, 700 permanent houses)
- Establish and stock health clinic
- Hire experienced local health workers
- Collaborate with community advisory board
THREE KEY CHALLENGES
- Damaged schools (affecting 600+ students)
- Destroyed homes (1,226 of 1,350)
- Inaccessible healthcare (nearest hospital 3-4 hours by car)
RMF is working to rebuild the village as a replicable model and improve healthcare access and education with the leadership of the local people.
Support this Initiative
Use your credit card or PayPal to support this initiative.